Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Originally from North Africa, harissa is a hot paste/sauce that contains mainly chili peppers, red peppers, garlic, salt and olive oil. Across North Africa, you will find numerous variations of the harissa depending on the region (or the family) since some recipes include herbs and spices.
Makes about 500 gr harissa
- 500 gr red bell peppers
- 1 to 4 chili peppers (any type), depending on how spicy you want your harissa
- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil and more for preservation
- ·1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
|Prep 20 m||Ready In 20 m|
- Preheat oven to 120 C (250 F)
- Deseed and devein the bell and the chili peppers (use rubber gloves for the chili peppers as they might irritate your skin). Quarter the bell peppers and half the chili peppers lengthwise.
- In a roasting tray place the red bell peppers, chili peppers and garlic. Make sure the skin side of the peppers is facing upwards because you don’t want their flesh to over-dry in the oven. Drizzle with olive oil (about 2 tablespoons) and place the tray in the warm oven for 1 hour. After one hour, your peppers should look a bit wrinkled. Remove the tray from the oven and leave to cool.
- Once the peppers and the garlic are cool enough to handle, chop them very finely or transfer them in a food processor. Heat a large deep pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-low heat and place the chopped bell peppers, chili peppers and garlic in the pan. Leave and stir occasionally until there is no more liquid in the pan. We want the mixture to dry up and all the water from the peppers to evaporate. It will take about 45 minutes. Don’t cover the pan, otherwise the liquids won’t evaporate. It will take about 45 minutes.
- When your harissa is ready, transfer it in a sterilised jar and leave a bit of room in the jar to top the harissa with olive oil. Olive oil will act as a natural preservative. Close the jar and place in the fridge. Keep for up to a month.
- Enjoy with everything!
Per Serving: 28 calories; 2.8 g fat; 0.9 g carbohydrates; 0.2 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 176 mg sodium